Sunday, January 6, 2013

Print Your Own Egg Cartons


We keep chickens for the fresh nutritional eggs.  With six hens, we get four to six eggs a day, more than we need for our personal use.  We don't sell our eggs, but we love to share them with our family and friends.  We think it's fun to give them a carton or half-carton of eggs with our homestead's name printed on it.  We buy printed cardboard cartons, but rather than pay extra to have them customized with our name, we add  it to the cartons ourselves with  a rubber stamp that we had made and an ink pad.  We cut small blocks of wood to fit inside the lids to give us a firm surface for stamping.  Those we give eggs to always get a kick out of seeing "Maple Grove" stamped on the outside of the carton.  There are many places where you can buy egg cartons and rubber stampers.  We purchased our stamp kit and cartons at EggCartons.com.  (We don't receive anything in return for mentioning them; it just happens to be where we shopped, and we pass that information on to our friends.) I have since seen egg cartons at Tractor Supply for half the price.  Shop around for the best price.  Happy stamping and sharing!


For more articles on keeping chickens, visit our Chickens Page.

Visit Maple Grove on Facebook and Pinterest.




16 comments:

  1. Very cute! I love it that it looks like a professional carton just for your farm. I use The Egg Carton Store but I will check and see if they have stamp kits as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lisa! My husband made those little wooden blocks to place under the carton while stamping--just for support and a a firmer surface.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had not thought of simply stamping my cartons... what a great idea! Our eggs are donated, but it would be nice for people to know from whence they come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Mary Ann. I don't sell my eggs, but the reason we like to stamp the cartons is because people enjoy the gift of eggs with the nice carton with our name on it. People we share eggs with usually return the cartons to us to recycle, but some have told me they kept one to display on their shelf with other country decor. I love that!

      Delete
  4. Katie - that really does look quite professional - we've been selling our eggs and need to identify the farm on the carton, will seriously be considering this approach. And the wooden block idea is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lesa. I've noticed recently that Tractor Supply sells egg cartons. They have plain ones for about half the price I paid for printed ones.

      Delete
  5. Cool idea. I'm going to keep this in mind for when we ever get enough eggs to sell. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha. . . great Carol! Hopefully that won't be long!

      Delete
  6. Great idea! I've been reusing cartons saved by my friends, but these are so much cuter :)
    I would love to have you join in several hops that I host or co-host! Starting today there is the seasonal Winter on the HomeAcre Hop at:

    http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/01/winter-on-the-homeacre-hop.html

    This gives you a chance to bring out archived posts on winter subjects :)
    Tomorrow is Wildcrafting Wednesday, you'll be able to find it from my homepage at:

    http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/

    And on Thursday I host The HomeAcre Hop, another good place to bring out great posts that you would like to share again. I'd love to see posts on homesteading, farming, cooking, homeschooling...the list goes on :) You can also find that on my homepage. Hope you can join us for all of these fun hops!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming by Lisa and for commenting on my post. I'll swing by and pay a visit to your blog and your hops! ~Katie

      Delete
  7. So cute! I would love to do this with our egg cartons. Will have to keep it in mind!

    Stopping by from the Backyard Farming Connection :)

    Tammy
    ourneckofthewoods.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tammy! And thanks for stopping by and letting me know how you found this post. I'll come by for a visit!

      Delete
  8. Those look great---as if you had them printed when the rest of the text was printed! How kind of you to give away eggs, too. I don't know anyone who would turn down farm fresh eggs!

    Thanks for sharing on Farm Girl Friday Blog Fest #15!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kristi. So glad to join your blog fest. Thank you for hosting!

      Delete
  9. How awesome. We used to get egg cartons from friends and family("Please please please save your egg cartons")LOL..... How fun it would have been to stamp our own! Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The egg cartons are so cute. Are there stamps available to put on the eggs?

    ReplyDelete