How to Make Simulated Leaded Glass Window Designs

This is a quick tutorial about how I made a simulated leaded glass design on my windows.  The products I used are made by Gallery Glass by Plaid:  Instant Lead Lines, Crystal Clear Window Color, and Simulated Liquid Leading.  The Instant Lead Lines are adhesive rubber strips. It only cost $26 to decorate two windows.


Step One: Testing  This was the first time I tried this, so I tested the products on a piece of glass.  I simply took the glass out of a picture frame, washed it, and went to work.  The glass wasn't ruined; when I was done practicing and it had dried, everything peeled off, and I could easily scrape any residue off with a razor blade and put the glass back in the picture frame.

Step Two: Design  I looked at images online to come up with a design for my windows. Once I decided what I wanted the windows to look like,  I cut a sheet of paper the size of my window and drew my design on it.  Tip:  I used a sheet of gift wrap paper because it is large and has one-inch grid markings on the back, which made it really easy to draw measured lines.

Step Three: Clean and Outline  Make sure your window is clean and dry.  I outlined the window with the leading strips, measuring and cutting them with a razor blade at the points where the perpendicular strips would meet.  The strips are adhesive, but I found that they didn't stick extremely well.  I had read about this on the reviews for the product.  Because of this and the fact that my practice art peeled off the glass easily, I was concerned that the finished design wouldn't last long.  By the time I had finished the project, though, I was more assured.

Step Four: Instant Leading Strips  I continued to apply the adhesive leading strips on the windows, measuring and following my pattern.  I used a long ruler as a guide to keep the strips even and straight.  When I finished outlining the whole design with the leading strips, I let it set over night.

Step Five: Crystal Clear Window Color  The next day, I squeezed some of the crystal clear window color into a small disposable container, and using appropriate width paint brushes, I carefully painted in the areas I had chosen and let it dry overnight.  Note:  I had practiced my stroke technique on my practice glass beforehand.  One of my concerns was how difficult it might be to remove the paint from my window later if I didn't like it.  I found that I could peel the dried paint off the glass in a whole piece.  Again, I wondered how lasting this artwork would be.

Step Six: Liquid Leading  The following day I squeezed a dot of the liquid leading on each joint where the strips met. I let this dry overnight.  I thought the liquid leading would dry like paint, but actually, it dried like rubber and really held everything together in place.  The next day, I cleaned up any straggles by slicing it with a razor blade.  It was stretchy and didn't slice easily, so try to be careful to not be too messy with the liquid leading. I had practiced this ahead of time too, and while it holds the art together, it was not too difficult to remove from the glass.

I was really pleased with the final results, and I feel more confident that this artwork will last a while.  If not, I don't think it will be hard to remove or that it will ruin my window surface.  (Update:  It has now been two years since I decorated my windows, and they look as good and are as stable as when I first finished them.)





I used Crystal Clear window paint, but it comes in many colors if you want to simulate stained glass.  Here is a link to the product page where you will find more detailed information:
  Gallery Glass FAQs.