The Grass is Always Greener

A Journal During the Coronovirus Pandemic
Reflections and Inspiration from Maple Grove
April 5, 2020


There is an old saying that goes like this:  "The grass is always greener on the other side," meaning that other people seem to be in a better situation than you, although they may not be. During this Coronovirus Pandemic, I am hearing many people expressing the opposite--how much better their situation is compared to some others. We are now at the end of the third week of "social distancing," "sheltering-in-place," and "staying at home."  The latest orders from our Governor are that "stay-at-home" means exactly that and has been extended to the entire state of Pennsylvania.  Furthermore, if
we do have to leave our home for essential reasons such as food or medical, we are instructed to wear face masks.  This crisis is not easy for anyone, but there are valuable lessons to be learned from it, and hopefully they will be remembered.



Well, one thing is for sure . . . the grass literally is greener now than it was three weeks ago, and much longer too.  I have repeatedly said how grateful I am that it is springtime so that we can at least enjoy the benefits of the outdoors at this time of year.  We got our first mowing in this week, and that was a very good feeling.

This pandemic has crippled the world.  At Maple Grove, our goal has always been "Living a simpler life to the Glory of God" as displayed in the banner at the top of this blog.  We enjoy staying at home, and we enjoy going for walks. Our burden is not as great as those who are suffering and dying and grieving.  During this Holy Week, we reflect on Christ's suffering and dying, but we do not grieve like those who have no hope, because we know the outcome--Resurrection and Eternal Life.  The grass is always greener when you walk with Christ--the anointed One, the Messiah--who was sent by the Father for our salvation.

The Lord is my Shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: He leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for Thou are with me; Thy rod and Thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: Thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.  Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever. (Psalm 23)


Today is Palm Sunday, the beginning of Holy Week.  We miss our family--our children and our grandchildren--and we miss our church family--our brothers and sisters in Christ whom we see and interact with every weekend and throughout the week.  We are grateful that through technology and our devoted Pastors and worship leaders, we were still able to gather together this morning on social media and have a meaningful worship time together.  May God keep you safe and healthy and provide for all your needs.

Lord God, we take comfort in knowing that you are just and merciful, and that all things are in your hands. Forgive us for being afraid and not trusting you to love and care for us no matter what happens.  We thank and praise you for sending your Son, Jesus, to suffer and die on the cross for the redemption of our sins. Help us to find comfort and peace in the green pastures of your love and your Word. In Jesus' name we pray, Amen.

Links:

St. Luke Worship Service, April 5, 2020
March 22, 2020 - Look Beyond the Challenge
March 29, 2020 - Stay at Home

Other Devotions by Katie Driscoll:

Pea Gravel
Red Sky at Night