Serve a Very Cheery Pie

A Journal During the Coronavirus Pandemic
Reflections and Inspiration from Maple Grove
April 26, 2020


Six weeks of sheltering at home, and one day this week I had the sudden urge to make a pie. Just like that.  I don't know why.  Maybe I just wanted to feel like things were normal again.  Maybe I just wanted to feel like America is still America. You know the old saying, "As American as apple pie"?  The urge hit me and I immediately set the gears in motion.  What kind of pie would I make? Last summer, we bought large quantities of fresh fruit when it was priced low. We canned peaches and applesauce, and we froze cherries, strawberries and blueberries. Throughout the winter, I would use the frozen fruit to make desserts or toppings. I thought I'd make a cherry pie, but I didn't have enough cherries left, so I used both cherries and strawberries. I made a Berry Cherry Pie.  It really lifted our mood, so in the end I jokingly called it a Very Cheery Pie.


Why did this pie make us so happy?  Well, for one thing, it tasted really good. (You'll find the recipe for Berry Cherry Pie and Flaky Pie Crust in the links at the bottom of this post.) Another thing is that the pie was unexpected. It was a surprise. Danny was outside working in the yard, and I was inside sewing face masks.  Neither of us knew we would be eating pie that evening.  But the urge hit me, and I kicked into action, and the next thing you know, I was serving a sweet, tasty pie.  Third, it was a loving act of kindness, of service.  The Bible talks a lot about serving one another.

"As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God's varied grace." (1 Peter 4:20)

"Through love serve one another. For the whole law is fulfilled in one word: "You shall love your neighbor as yourself." (Galatians 5:13-14)

 "The Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give His life as a ransom for many" (Matthew 20:28). 

God both invites us and commands us to serve one another in love. Whatever gifts God has given us (and He has given some to all of us), we are to use them to serve others. We honor God when we show love to others as He loves us. Serving others is also the best medicine for when we're feeling down or anxious.  It helps us to think about others' needs instead of just our own.  It helps us forget our bad feelings and replaces them with good feelings.  And it makes others feel better too, as their need is met and they feel loved.

During this Coronavirus Pandemic, I've been using my gift and love of sewing to make face masks for some less advantaged communities in New York City and Pittsburgh.  Finding ways to serve others passes the time, lifts my spirit and the spirits of those I'm serving, and most of all, it enables me to gratefully focus on God's love and trust Him to see us through. May God keep you safe and healthy and provide for all of your needs.

Dear Lord, You have shown us the full extent of your love by coming to serve us, and you call us to serve others.  Help us to be your faithful servants and share your love with those who need it, trusting that you will provide for our needs and take care of us.  In Jesus' name, Amen.



Visit Maple Grove on Facebook and Pinterest.