Be a Child

A Journal During the Coronavirus Pandemic
Reflections and Inspiration from Maple Grove
May 3, 2020

We've turned the calendar to the merry month of May, but we are still in stay-at-home mode. Our Pennsylvania Governor has eased restrictions in 24 counties, but ours is not one of them, not yet.  One of the projects I worked on during this seventh week of sheltering-in-place was cleaning out my Potting Shed.  During the winter, we store our patio furniture in it, but once we bring the furniture out, the shed becomes my  Potting Play Shed.  I took down the curtains and washed and ironed them, and gave the shed a good thorough cleaning. Then out came all the tea party paraphernalia, which of course I had to play with.


I just still like to play.  I'm glad I have grandchildren as an excuse, but truth be told, sometimes I go to my Potting Shed to amuse myself with the play things there.  Doesn't this hamburger platter look real?  A beef patty, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, all on a sesame seed bun!  There is a difference between being childish and childlike.  "Childish" usually means being silly or immature, whereas "childlike" means innocent or trusting.  Which am I?  Jesus taught about having childlike faith.

"Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven" (Matthew 18:3-4).

"Let the children come to me, and do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of God.  Truly, I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it" (Luke 18:16-17).


When it comes to childlike faith, Jesus does not mean for us to be silly and immature.  He means for us to have an innocent, trusting faith in Him.  The scriptures teach us "Like newborn infants, long for the pure spiritual milk, that by it you may grow up into salvation--if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is good" (1 Peter 2:2-3).  While God wants us to trust Him with the innocence of a child, He also wants us to grow mature in our knowledge of Him and our understanding of His Word.  "Therefore, let us leave the elementary doctrine of Christ and go on to maturity" (Hebrews 6:1).

Just for the record, I'll be so glad when this pandemic is over and my grandchildren (my "Beans") can come and play with me again.  I like to think that I have an old soul but a child's heart. When it comes to playtime, I enjoy being childish, but when it comes to faith, I pray God's Spirit will keep me childlike, trusting him with the innocence that He gave to me through His Son, Jesus Christ, as He leads me to full spiritual maturity. May God our Father keep you childlike, healthy and safe, and provide for all of your needs.

Heavenly Father, you have given us your Word so that we may know Jesus and become like little children, your children.  May your Holy Spirit guard our hearts and minds so that we retain a childlike faith while growing spiritually mature in our knowledge and understanding of your great mercy and truth.  In Jesus' name, Amen.



Visit Maple Grove on Facebook and Pinterest.