Cleaning and Repairing Cluckingham Palace

A Journal During the Coronavirus Pandemic
Reflections and Inspiration from Maple Grove
May 10, 2020

Do you do "spring cleaning?"  We do. Spring cleaning and Fall cleaning.  That's when we clean a little deeper and wash windows and power wash outdoor spaces.  That's also when we clean the hen house.  We built the hen house eleven years ago, and it is need of a few repairs and renovations.  So that's what we've been working on during this eighth week of stay-at-home distancing.  I'm really excited about some of the updates we will be giving to Cluckingham Palace.


Our hen house is set up so that we only have to clean it twice a year. If you're interested, you can check out our design in the link below.  After 11 years of keeping chickens, there are two renovations I would like to make to Cluckingham Palace.  First, I want to redesign the roost so there are a couple of perches at the highest level. By nature, chickens want the highest perch, and the Chickie-Babes have had wrestling matches for that superior position. Second, I want to add interior walls, because all the corners in those studded bays are open invitations for dusty webs.

While cleaning the hen house this week, it reminded me that my heart and mind are constantly in need of cleansing by God.  During the trials and difficulties of this Coronavirus Pandemic, we are so apt to become frustrated and discouraged from the conflicting reports we hear and the divisive nature of some of those reports.  Frustration and discouragement can often lead to sinful thoughts, words and deeds, and we need Christ to sweep out the dirty rooms of our hearts.  As I reflected and prayed about this, God brought some Bible verses to my mind:


"Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me" (Psalm 51:10).

"Having purified your souls by your obedience to the truth for a sincere brotherly love, love one another earnestly from a pure heart" (1 Peter 1:22).

"Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you" (Ephesians 4:32).

Yes, Cluckingham Palace is in need of a thorough cleaning and some renovations.  And so are our hearts and minds.  As I go about my weekly projects, I realize that I am a work in progress too.  I am so grateful that my Lord Jesus has taken my sinfulness on Himself and replaced it with His righteousness. Thanks be to God.  May He fill your heart, keep you healthy and safe, and provide for all of your needs.

Lord Jesus, You are the sinless, obedient Son of God.  I am sinful and disobedient.  Thank you for conquering sin, death and Satan and exchanging Your righteousness for my sins.  O my Redeemer,  cleanse my heart and help me to be steadfast in faith and deed.  In your name, I pray. Amen.




Visit Maple Grove on Facebook and Pinterest.